Bags packed…well mostly. Passport. Tickets. Debit card
and some leftover Quetzales from past trips. I can make it to Guatemala = step
1. Step 2-349: get large suitcases to room, meet people and remember names,
speak Spanish, find a home, find a bed?, find the internet, find laundry
facilities, find food, figure out what exactly I’m doing for a year..a
month..today, breathe, enjoy the moment, how do I get to work?, how do you ride
a chicken bus?, ¿qué? Otra
vez, por favor…¿cómo se dice…? Stop.
Back up.
Step 1: Make it to Guatemala.
Oh, the rollercoaster of emotions that I have gone through
in the past year, months, and 3 days…I’m pretty sure I have experienced every
possible one. Though, apparently I am an
internal processor of these things since my mom said the other day, “You
haven’t said too much.” I know the
emotions have leaked out to different people at different times – my pure excitement,
joy, tears, fears…but overall, my mind, heart, and God have been the listeners
of my thoughts. Whenever I’m
“processing” I think back to all the events that have brought me to this
moment: adopted siblings coming home, trips to Guatemala, Spanish classes,
abroad trips, social justice conversations and actions, St. Kate’s, a letter or
hug from a child, uncertain career paths, prayers, encouragement, prayers…Though
all these events (and many more) have led me here, I particularly reminisce to
a car ride back to St. Kate’s after a visit home last summer. I had been discerning deeply where I was
headed after graduation…I knew a year of volunteering was in my future, but in
country or out? And where? With who?
Guatemala with Common Hope had always been a front runner, but there
were still many uncertainties that kept me from committing. That car ride made my decision. I shut off the radio, both hands on the wheel
and said “Okay God. What is it? Where am I suppose to go?” I waited…I
listened…I breathed. And then I knew,
“It’s Guatemala isn’t it? It is! That’s where I’m suppose to go.” *deep breath*
“Okay. Let’s do it.” From then on, I
knew. There have been moments of doubt
since then and times when it seemed just easier to stay here, but I know this
is my call for this year. I have
something I need to do in Antigua, Guatemala.
I have decided to keep this blog in order to attempt to
give those I love back home a glimpse into my experience. I am uncertain what type of blog this will be
or how it will turn out, just like I am uncertain of all that is in store for
me this coming year. I hope that
whatever occurs, you will find something here to connect with me and the people
I collaborate with. Your prayers and support
are greatly appreciated. Now, it’s time
for me to take a leap. To trust. I am ready. In the simple words that got me
through my Spanish classes in college: “Todo está bien, todo está bien.”
No comments:
Post a Comment