This week I was fully in my orientation. I have had the pleasure of going through
orientation with Paola, a woman who has started working in the Infant
Center. We get along very well and have
had many moments where we are laughing so hard tears are surfacing (usually
because it’s the end of the day, we’re tired, and something just hits us in a
funny way). It is amazing how many
departments and people keep a foundation running: hospitality, reception,
sponsorship, youth, cleaning, maintenance, construction, social work,
psychology, kitchen, accounting, scholarships, school collaboration…it just
keeps going! And within each of these are
more specific areas and specialties. And
I am a part of this!!!! I have had
several moments this week when I realized that I am working for Common Hope; I
am working for this organization; I have a position; I have responsibilities
and many people have and are putting their trust in me. It’s so exciting!!!! I mean, nerves come with this too, but they
are those invigorating nerves that push you and motivate you to get started.
One of the highlights of this week for me was when I had
a meeting with my boss, Rigo, to talk about my position description – what am I
actually going to do?! I have been
wondering that ever since I got here and I was very ready to find out. This meeting helped. My position is in the department Apoyo a Jóvenes (Youth Support). In a nutshell, here is what I’ll be doing.
1. Evaluating all the current programs in Apoyo a
Jóvenes to give a new/outside perspective on how they are doing; making any suggestions
for change so that they can better serve the youth and be more productive
2. Assist with the facilitation of the Saturday
programming that occurs for about 60+ youth
3. Create a new program for Apoyo a Jóvenes that I
will be in charge of
4. Assist with the daily workings of Apoyo a
Jóvenes and the other programs (e.g. help with tutoring, etc.)
Rigo was very great to talk to. He was very encouraging about my ability to succeed
in this position and was very open to my opinions and ideas. This was one of those moments that it hit me
that I am truly working within this organization. He told me he wants my opinions and
critiques. He wants to make sure the programs
are improving and helpful. He, a 50+
year old Guatemalan man who’s been working here for many many years, wants MY
critiques - a 22 year old from the U.S. who just graduated and is still very
much working on her Spanish communication skills. How cool!
I also am very excited about the idea of starting my own
program here. The possibilities are wide
open. I definitely have some research to
do. I want to make sure whatever I
choose to do applies to the youth – is needed – and will be successful and
sustainable. Right now, my goal is to
talk to and observe the youth. I want to
get their ideas and see what I can form from there. Prayers for guidance, insight, and wisdom are
welcomed.
As part of my orientation, I went with a social worker on
some of her social work visits for a morning.
I’ve done this before when I was here previously, but that still does
not take away from the intensity of the experience. This time was a little different because my
comprehension of Spanish is so much better that I could understand everything
that was being said and going on. I’m
not going to go into detail about all I saw and heard as there is no way to
capture it in such a limited space and I’d rather tell you in person then
plaster these people’s stories on the internet.
What I will say is as is the same all over the world, there are many
different types of families – many different situations – many different
problems and successes. And yet, there
is a thread that ties many of these families together, and that is
poverty. With poverty, there are some
common themes that are seen. We can read
about them in the newspaper or textbooks, hear about them informational videos
or from friends we know, but to walk in a house, sit a table that has a hole in
it the size of ¼ of the table and talk about these very personal struggles and
successes has an impact that cannot be matched.
You see their faces, you hear their words, look into their eyes - your
human spirits connect. This was another
moment when I realized I am working for Common Hope – they see me as part of
this organization and therefore I am privy to these conversations. Now, if you volunteer in any way with Common
Hope, you can attend a social work visit, but this one seemed different to me
because now I could understand (with my Spanish fluency) and had a desire to
understand in a new way. I wanted to
know how I could assist these
families through my position. I was
learning names and faces of the children so I can greet them at the
foundation. It all connects.
Yesterday, I worked with the youth all day in their
Saturday programming. In the morning,
youth from the leadership group lead small group discussions on a specific
topic (yesterday’s topic was poverty) for about an hour. Then, there is free time for several hours
where everyone hangs out at the foundation and plays soccer, listens to music,
talks, walks, or whatever else they find to do.
There is a snack prepared by some of the leadership group that everyone
gets to have. Around 2:30, everyone
leaves except that leadership group who meet to plan the next week. They discuss the topic, assign tasks (group
leaders, snack preparers, lunch preparers), make plans and then eat lunch
together that has been prepared by members of their group. This week was special because they had
planned a surprise quinceanera (15th birthday party) for one of the
girls in their group because she doesn’t have a mom to plan this party for
her. It was so special.
A challenge that I will be facing in my position is
communication between the youth and me.
First of all, they talk faster and not as clear as adults. They use slang and do not annunciate. Secondly, they seem to have a harder time
understanding me. I don’t know if I have
a thick accent or if they aren’t use to hearing a non-native talk – but oh man,
there have been some moments where I wonder if I’ve started speaking another
language besides Spanish when they give me the “blank stare of
incomprehension”. Haha! Thankfully, they still seem to like me. I’ve started to make some connections with
some of the youth, specifically those in the leadership group. It’s so funny to hang out with teenagers – I
haven’t done that for awhile in this capacity.
Oh, the questions they ask and what they think is funny and
entertaining. I’m having a fun
time! I’m excited to get to know them
more and really establish some solid relationships. I can’t wait to have them stopping by my desk
the way they do to the others in my office.
There is such a welcoming and fun atmosphere in our office – I’m really
excited to be a part of it.
Outside of work there have been a few things going
on. I am STILL house searching (I was
really wishing I would have a different message for this post), but I do think
I’m getting closer. I have a tentative
roommate, we just need to check out the house I found in Santa Ana. I also have emails out to the other
organizations in the area that have volunteers to ask if anyone needs a
roommate. It will happen. I really hope by the end of this week, but we
will see. :) Also, I had the pleasure of
attending a Bible study at the house of my “new Guatemalan family” last night
and went to church with them this morning.
I’m not exactly sure what denomination they are, I think they are
non-denominational, therefore the service was different then what I’m use to,
but it was still nice to sing some praises and worship.
I’m excited to start this next week as I only have
orientation for 2.5 more days. Wednesday
afternoon I officially begin my work in Apoyo a Jóvenes. Whoot!!
Here we go!!
| My desk! I was even greeted with a "Welcome Teresa" sign :) |
| The 3 ladies I first connected with from the youth program. |
| The leadership group at the quinceanera (15th b-day party) |
| The birthday girl! |
No comments:
Post a Comment