This was a good week. It was a good week in the sense that I can tell I am really starting to settle in, starting to get into the groove of things. On Tuesday of last week we had an office meeting (it is suppose to be a weekly, but it varies sometimes depending on schedules). I learned a lot in this meeting about what has been going on in the different programs and what is coming up. For example, I learned that there is a lock-in type event coming up in October with the youth. Yep. I get to be up all night with many Guatemalan teenagers…I remember when I thought it was fun/cool to stay up all night --- that time in my life has passed. Haha! Oh, I’m sure it will still be fun though! :)
Also, our office will be offering Pre-Básico classes, which basically means we will be offering 2 weeks of mock classes to those who will be entering Básico (which is about the equivalent of our middle school) to give them an idea of what it will be like (for example: having a different teacher for every subject instead of one teacher for all the classes). Guess who is the English teacher? That would be me. :) I was a little nervous about this in the beginning (and still am in some ways, but less so) since I really haven’t had any teaching experience except for my Teaching Assistant experiences at St. Kate’s, but we all spoke the same language where here I’m going to be teaching middle schoolers a different language…whoa. Though, the topics are very basic and I’ve already started making the lesson plans and am feeling better about it all. We’ll see how it goes in the classroom! :) I don’t actually teach the classes until November (maybe one or two in October at another Common Hope site).
The other exciting news is we talked about the program I will be creating. They all really liked the idea of a girls group focused on strengthening the girls in leadership skills and self-esteem. So, I think I’m going to focus my efforts on this (which was the original plan all along!). I’ve continued my planning with doing some more research and trying to get all my ideas down on paper. The next step is figuring out how to take the steps to refining those ideas a little more and figuring out the way to implement them. Creating a new program from scratch is also a new experience for me, but I’m excited for the challenge!
I have started taking salsa lessons with some other volunteers. We took one group lesson last week and have another scheduled for this week. It’s a fun thing to do and as you all know, I love to dance!! I already know the basics of salsa, but I’m hoping to refine my skills and learn some new things to use on the very talented dance floor down here. :)
This last Saturday with the youth was particularly fun. I really feel like I’m making progress with the youth and really becoming part of the group. I got a GREAT compliment from one of the guys who said, “Teresa you get along really well with everyone and everyone really likes you which is kind of rare for a foreigner, especially so quickly. It’s particularly hard with the teenagers.” AHHH!!!! That made me feel SOOO great!! I agree – it is harder connecting with the teenagers then little kids and adults. I had felt like I was getting to be more part of the group, and this comment gave me confidence that I indeed am! WHOOT!!! My bachata dance class went really well this week too! I actually gave 2 classes because of scheduling, and they both went really well. In the first one I had about 16 youth – and they were all really eager to learn. They did great!! SO FUN!!
I have been meeting more people through some of the volunteers here. I’ve had some fun nights out meeting new people and seeing new places. I even was able to do some cooking and baking with a couple volunteers and our Guatemalan friend at his place. We had the best pasta and the BEST carrot cake (made from scratch…fresh carrots and everything!) topped off with the movie Motorcycle Diaries. Fun, fun times.
As I said, I am really starting to feel settled in. I had a couple times this weekend where I was getting groceries by myself and navigating around Antigua. There was one moment where I was walking down the street with my bag of groceries, I had just asked a traffic policeman where exactly the buses passed by near the market so that I could get one back to Santa Ana (the village where I live) and it hit me – I am doing this. I am navigating this new city, by myself, in Spanish. I have my groceries for my house, I am walking to take the rickety chicken bus that will pass by Santa Ana as long as I take one that is going to one of three particular villages (and I know which names to watch for). I knew that the buses passed near the market - but I didn’t know where exactly - but I was able to ask the police officer because I CAN SPEAK AND UNDERSTAND SPANISH! So nice. I realized how happy I am that I have this knowledge and understanding. It is SO COOL and makes life so much easier down here!
One last quick story. Today (Monday) I was able to go visit my Godchild, Jennifer, and her family! SO FUN!! This is the second time I have visited her (the first time was back in January 2010 when I was down here last). I have seen her mother and siblings several times already since I’ve been here at the Common Hope site. It was great to see her home again and the progress that has been made. In March of 2011 they received a two room house from Common Hope. It looks so nice. The mom is also working hours right now to earn a stove. Nothing can top walking up to the tin door of a fence and seeing a little boy’s head peak around and then light up at your presence as he opens the door and runs to you with arms wide open “Señora!!!!” Precious. This was Byron, the youngest of the family. Next I was greeted by Juan José (the next youngest) and then Heidy (the next up). Jennifer arrived a few moments later from school. Their older brother was at school for the afternoon and their dad was at work. This was another moment when I loved my Spanish capability. We were able to simply sit, converse, and laugh. There was no need to slow the conversation with translating. There were a couple times where I needed clarification on a word or two, but otherwise it was simple bliss. I LOVE that I will be here for a longer period so that this doesn’t have to be the one and only visit for some time. I hope to really establish a relationship with the family. (Fail moment – forgot my camera…but there will be pictures of the visits in the future!)
Another full week of work coming up – and yet I’m happy to go because I like my work. That’s super cool. :) This Saturday I will not be working because the 15th of September is Guatemala’s Independence Day. I have heard little bits about the fun festivities that occur – many bands (like marching bands?) in the streets and parks. Should be fuN!!
P.S. Shout out HAPPY BIRTHDAYS to 3 special people in my life: September 10 – Big bro Joseph! ; September 11 – Bunkity! (aka Sarah Vrudny) ; September 12 - Ella Bella Wella (lil’ sis Elizabeth). Much love all!!
| The supper I made for myself Monday night - yes those are all fresh vegetables from the market. YUM! And I finished it off with a little home-made carrot cake. Life is good. ;) |
We are SOOOO happy, you are SOOOO happy! What a blessing. :) love ya...MOM
ReplyDeleteAre YOU the one that made the carrot cake?! Wow. Nice job. Dad
ReplyDeleteWell...I helped make the cake. Sarah was definitely in charge and the master of it. But SO good! :)
ReplyDelete