Monday, September 17, 2012

Community...I love community.

Thursday, September 13th marked one month that I’ve been here.  I cannot believe how fast time has flown by and how easily it has been to adjust to my place here.  As I reflect on the blessings that I have encountered just after one month, how much I love my job and my colleagues, and how “right” this feels, I am confirmed in my knowledge that this is where I am suppose to be.  I heard God right.  There was no flashing neon sign like I always prayed for, but God still found a way to point me in the right direction and thankfully I listened.  I am under no illusion that this was just a conversation between God and me…many others were involved in the process to get me here.  I want to thank all of those who supported (and continue to support) me and helped get me to this place (whether or not you know you were a part of this).

This week the realization of the community that I have and am attaining here really struck me.  Through many of my experiences in the past few years, I have noticed how much I love, crave, and seek out community (which is a very human thing I believe) and, thankfully, I am finding just that.  This was especially evident at work this week.  I had several special bonding moments with my office colleagues, specifically my “cube buddy” Karen.  Tuesday, it was just Karen and I in the office because of personal days by the other office colleagues or other meetings.   It was also a quiet day in the office because on Tuesdays we do not have specific activities with the youth, so there were not many youth at the foundation.  That meant, Karen and I were able to calmly work at our offices and in between tasks chat about things of the day, our lives, a funny story…it was just fun.  Also, on Thursday, Karen, Jóvita (the other women in our office) and I had a fun chat in the afternoon.  At one point, Jóvita moved from her desk (as we were talking over the cubicles) and came and sat in our space…we all pulled up our chairs…and continued our conversations as we cut out letters for a sign Jóvita was making to congratulate one of colleagues on his new baby.  SO FUN!!!  As I write this, I can tell it is not capturing the moment at all…but you had to be there.  I just had this moment of being filled with companionships, friendship, “girl talk” time.  I loved it.  I’ve missed it.

Just to ensure that you don’t think my work solely consists of casually working at my computer and chatting with my colleagues, let me share a quick moment from Wednesday afternoon.  First of all, Wednesday I was in charge of the crafts that occur in the morning and afternoon as I was covering for Jóvita who had the day off.  Another volunteer from the community comes in and does the crafts, I just had to ensure that everything went smoothly, that they signed the attendance sheet, and serve them the snack.  Well, Wednesdays are also Club de Estudios (the tutoring program) that I help out with.  The mornings are usually pretty calm, but the afternoons are usually pretty busy.  Well, this afternoon was particularly busy for me.  I had the two girls come in who I have been helping with multiplication and division and also I had a guy come in who I’ve been working on English with.  Previously, they have come on different days – but today they came on the same day!  It was fine and going very well – just kept me busy.  At one point…I was checking and giving one girl multiplication problems, one girl division, tutoring in English, and serving up 24 snacks!!  Whoa.  It was busy, but it makes the time fly by and it is fun.  Though, I have to say – tutoring is rewarding, frustrating, and overwhelming all at the same time.  I am really struggling with the fact that these girls really do not understand the basics of what they are doing.  I have realized that I need to go back and teach them the concepts before we can continue reviewing and doing their homework.  Mathematics Spanish vocabulary studying time. :)

This Friday, we did not have to work because the Common Hope site was closed due to the fact that it was Guatemala’s Independence Day on Saturday.  That meant I had an extra-long weekend as there was no youth activities on Saturday either.  I thoroughly enjoyed “sleeping in” Friday morning (which was until 7:30am – whoop!) and then reading in bed until I finally decided to start the day a little before 9.  It was a relaxing morning and early afternoon spent talking in Spanish with Annie and her Spanish teacher who comes to our house for Annie’s private lessons, followed by lying out on the roof with Annie.  In the afternoon I met up with Kate and Sarah (two short-term volunteers that are great friends!) to do what Sarah called an “art tour”.  This consisted of us going to the Bodegona (the grocery store) and buying water color paints and paper to take with us to the beautiful cemetery to do some artistic adventures (Sarah – photography, Kate – drawing, Me – painting).  We split up – went our separate ways – and did our art.  I had a WONDERFUL time painting again…I haven’t done that is SO long…and it was rather funny because I had several people mistake me for a real artist as they would walk by, craning their necks to see my masterpiece or even stop and talk to me about my painting…haha!!
Friday concluded with hanging out with other volunteers at one of their houses and then going out for the evening – we split up when going out and I ended up at Las Palmas where there was salsa dancing (surprising, right? ;) ).  Nothing starts off a weekend right like dancing – just love it!

Saturday I was up early to meet with my Guatemalan family for a day out for the Día de Independencia.  I did my best to wear the proper white and blue colors as I was picked up by the family who were almost all dressed in Guatemalan color attire (mostly soccer like uniforms).  We were going to the parade that was starting at 8am in Antigua.  The parade was made up of all the various schools within Antigua and the surrounding villages and their marching bands – yep, a parade of all marching bands and music…my Grandma Olsen would have loved it!  It felt very familiar to be sitting watching a parade on Independence Day.  Yes, there were differences, but overall, familiar.
After the parade, which the family remarked was longer and more boring than previous years as the bands were very spread out and sometimes there were pauses of 5 minutes or more, they invited me to go with them to a neighboring provenience, Chimaltenango, to go to the mall and have lunch.  They pointed out different areas and landmarks along the way – they are just so fun and easy to hang out with!!  I am amazed at how quickly they have welcomed me into the family – I mean, we were introduced one day by the other group of volunteers – and after that, I was in.  They have taken it upon themselves to make me feel welcomed and invite me to different family outings…so special!
When we walked in the mall, I instantly felt like I was back in the U.S.  Malls are malls.  We went to the food court.  Food courts are food courts.  All the restaurants were ones you’d see in the U.S. - Subway, Dominoes, Taco Bell, a Chinese place, etc….guess where we went.  Taco Bell. :)  The mall was packed and it took a little bit to find a table.  Then Quique and his daughter, Lydia, went up and placed our order that we decided on by looking at the pictures on coupons.  I swear, if everyone hadn’t been talking in Spanish, I would have believed I was back in the U.S. – even the Taco Bell drink cups were in English!  I thought this was weird…but it seemed that it didn’t matter that almost everyone in the mall wouldn’t be able to read it…as Dominoes had their sign and slogan in English as well.  I guess they don’t find it financially beneficial to translate their products for other countries…though, on the Taco Bell cup it said if there were any questions or concerns, they should call the said number.  So, only English speakers can voice their questions or concerns?  Interesting.
We ended our time in the mall by simply walking slowly past shops and looking inside if one desired.  We didn’t buy anything.  There was no shopping list or agenda.  We simply walked to look.  When I say walked, for many of you back in the U.S., you would consider this almost standing still.  I don’t think I have ever walked so slow in my life, but it was okay, because we weren’t in a hurry.  We were enjoying just looking. Just being there. Being together.  The ride home went much quicker – but that could be because all four of us girls in the back seat shut our eyes and dozed off…filling taco bell, many hours in the sun in the morning with the parade, and a quite car ride = sleep time.

That evening, Sarah and Kate came over to my place for a sleepover.  We made a pasta dinner, watched a movie, and talked talked talked.  In the morning, Sarah and Kate made chocolate oatmeal, banana pancakes which we ate with peanut butter and powdered sugar on top.  HAHA!! They were great at figuring out what to do with the random items I have in the house.

A highlight from this week is that I found someone to attend mass with!  Karen, my cube mate, invited me to go with her and her boyfriend to mass at the Cathedral on Sunday at 10am.  Kate and Sarah joined us.  It was just beautiful.  I have to learn the mass in Spanish now, though what’s beautiful about the liturgy is I understood the words and where we were in the mass because I am familiar with it all – now just to learn the exact wording in Spanish so I was fully participate.  After mass, Karen, Rogelio (her boyfriend), and I sat in central park for a little while, just talking.  So easy and so fun.  Rogelio knows so much about everything – and he had many questions for me and much knowledge to share – I am astonished by his memory!  When the sun got hot, we moved to a coffee shop nearby where Karen and Rogelio know every worker…seriously, every one of them.  We ordered ice tea (lemon for me) and sat and talked some more.  Karan and I kept discovering many random similarities that we have – our love for dresses and clothes (she’s going to show me a great dress shop one of these Sundays), our varying hunger schedules (there are weeks when we are super hungry all the time and others where we have no hunger at all), AND how we are both warm people…we get warm easily and tend to be perfect in temperature when others say it’s cold (college roomies – you understand this well :) ).  We had SUCH a great time…I can see this being a great weekly get together.  Karen told me today at work that Rogelio told her later that day, “I think you found your sister from another country.”  Haha!

Many other fun things occurred this weekend – but they are either repeats from previously weekends and/or I don’t have time to go into them all.  Some things that are coming up for me in the next few days: soccer game on site after work where Karen and I are official cheerleaders for the team with our office colleague, Jaime; cooking with Kate, Sarah, & Guillermo again tonight; office meeting tomorrow where I’m going to share my current plans for the girls group I am creating and get their opinions and suggestions; salsa dancing with Kate and Sarah and anyone else we can get to come along tomorrow night because it will be our last night together as I leave for the U.S. on Wednesday morning and they continue on their trip this coming weekend.

As mentioned, I will be heading back to Minnesota for a very quick trip to celebrate the wedding of Joseph and Emily!!!  WHOOT!!! SO EXCITED!!!  I, along with another volunteer (who happens to have a flight at the same time and day…different flight…weird), will be getting a ride in from Quique…we have to leave Santa Ana around 8:30am to get to the airport at a decent time.  I won’t make it into St. Paul until after 10:00pm…uffda, long day of traveling.  BUT at least my family will be waiting for me at the end. :)

I am pretty proud with where I’m at a little more than a month after arriving.  Before I left MN, I made some goals that I wanted to complete before I returned for the wedding.  I think I have pretty much reached those goals: I have a house, a roommate, I have started my position and mostly know what I’m doing in my position, have a phone, know how to get money and food, making friends and having a great time!  The only little logistic that isn’t figured out yet is internet in my house, but that’s very minor in the grand scheme of things.  I am feeling very satisfied and happy that I am settling in so well and loving it here.  I am very excited to see my family and friends and celebrate in MN, but I’m happy to say that I will be happy coming back here too.  That’s a good feeling.

Forgot to mention that Volcano Fuego was erupting this week - VERY cool to see!  Don't worry, I was not in danger.  

Torch running for Dia de Independencia

Waiting for the parade with Blanca (mom) and Sandy (daughter)

The family minus Omar who had to work

The parade

Little drummer boy - there were definitely ALL ages in this parade!

Quiz night! Kate (left) & Sarah (right)

Making Rellenitos at Guillermo's house - that's plantains filled with sweet beans and then you fry it...sound interesting but SO good! :)

1 comment:

  1. :) We knew you'd meet wonderful people. And how special for Karen to "find her sister from another country". :) What a blessing for you too! Yup, we all share so much and especially this place we call home, our planet earth. I could not be happier for you Teresa. We are very excited to see you and happy you are so happy to return, even if it's a heart tug to send you back...it's all good because it's where you are to be. :)

    As always, love ya lots. MOM

    ReplyDelete