In the beginning, I
had no idea what I was doing. Well,
maybe “no idea” is a bit of an exaggeration.
I like working with youth; I am an older sister so I’ve grown up
mentoring and interacting with younger girls while being mentored and loved by
my “strong, all-women’s liberal arts educated” mother (as we often say); I
attended an all-women’s university where woman’s leadership and development was
highly emphasized; I have had a few experiences being a teaching assistant or
running a workshop with young girls or women.
BUT, I have never created, planned and facilitated a young girls
leadership group…and then in another culture and language.
Regardless of the the
pre-text, whether or not I was (or am) qualified to do this, this is what my
assignment was and is. It is not just an
assignment; it is a need and something I wanted
to do. So, here we are. It is July.
The group has been up and running for about 6 months (planning and
recruiting of course started before).
The first weeks…it was a good day when I had 3 girls. There was a Friday when I only had 1. And then it happened. They started to come…and they kept
coming. We now have 13 on the attendance
sheet with about 10 that are very consistent.
Now, numbers are great, but they do not capture it. These aren’t just numbers these señoritas,
they are engaged, active, willing participates who want to learn and do
something; who have really started to own their group. They take initiative, are great workers, and
work as a team. I love them more every
Friday that we meet.
Here are some
highlights:
- Choosing their name (which is more their motto now as it was kind of long and the name Señoritas Líderes [Girl Leaders] has stuck). They had many ideas, discussions were made, along with voting. The final vote was: Señoritas que nunca se rinden [Girls that never give up]
- Everything month they plan out what we are going to do for the month. They understand that there should be a variety of activities (some focused on learning or improving ourselves and others can be recreational).
Workshops and themes we’ve seen
and worked with:
a. Women’s
health
b.
Sexual
health and pregnancies
c.
Public
speaking
d.
Planning
and hosting an activity
e.
Learning
about other cultures through conversations with volunteers from other countries
- Planning and executing a “rally” on Saturday.
a.
A rally
here is where there are several stations of games and the youth are in teams
and must complete all the stations. The
first to complete them all wins.
b.
My
señoritas were amazing! They took the
planning very seriously, made shirts to identify themselves, came early, set
everything up and the activity was a GREAT success! It was truly THEIR activity and was LESS work
for me. I was just BEAMING with pride.
:)
- Circle discussion with an invited affiliated young woman guest who had a baby before graduation (and is still studying with her 1 year old baby).
a.
The
invited guest shared her experience, the changes in her life after having a baby
(the good and the bad and the different)
b.
She
encouraged my girls to really take advantage of “their youth” and study hard while they are their only responsibility
c.
One of my
girls asks, “what was it like to give birth?” and then quickly covered her
mouth embarrassed…thinking she shouldn’t have asked such a question. But it was a perfect question for this place
and this space of all women. I
encouraged the question and the open space and our invited guest was happy to
explain what her experience was like. It
was GREAT. This is something all girls
are curious about…but what happens if you don’t have a safe space to ask the
questions and hear the answers?
There are many more
highlights…some I remember and some I know I am forgetting. All I can say is I am SO happy I started this
group and am proud of the young women who are making it into what it is. Friday afternoons are starting to be one of
my favorite parts of my week. They are
such eager girls – goofy and full of life…but able to be serious and get work
done too. It is SUCH a pleasure to work
with them and be a part of their girls group.
I am a bit nervous
about the sustainability of this group.
Just for the fact, that currently there is only one other woman working
in my office and her work load is already full…and therefore would not be able
to continue the girls group once I leave.
The plan is that another volunteer will be hired to take my place. I can just hope that she has the same passion
(if we can designate the volunteer be a woman) as I do for girls leadership and
development. I don’t want to see this
group end. And it is going to be incredibly
hard to let them go.
Though, not
focusing on the end but on the time I still have with them…we have in the
works, a “water day”..guess I’ll be getting wet that day. :) Also, next month I want to bring in a panel
of working women to give them an idea of the variety of opportunities they can
have in the work force and to hear about these women’s experiences. I hope to get a variety of women in different
positions (some that are positions where women are not as often seen).

No comments:
Post a Comment