I returned to work on Thursday, January 3rd,
to an office not quite full or hopping (just me and two other colleagues in our
office), yet the fun and energy of the work was not lacking. It was great to be greeted by my
co-workers…talk about what we did on vacation…and talk about all the events and
projects coming up in the next few weeks.
Jaime and I (with the help of one of the interns in our office,
Emmanuel) decided that our entrance needed a make-over. It began with just taking down the letters of
the old welcome message that hung around our welcome white board so that we
could put up a new one…to touching up the white paint on the wall to clean it
up…to encountering some beautiful bright blue paint in one of our rooms…and…well... Now we have a wonderful splash of color that
welcomes you into our office! :) The
white board is cleaned and back up with freshly printed and laminated names (we
indicate where we are each day..”in the office”, “study club”, “personal day”,
etc.) and on Tuesday I finished putting up all the letters that we cut out for
the message. That little (actually, not
so little) project has done in between all the other things that have been
starting up with this New Year.
On the 6th, was the school supply day at
Common Hope where all the families in the Antigua area come to the foundation
to get their school supply packets for the year. We wanted to take advantage of the
opportunity to reach out to every affiliated family, therefore I put together a
brochure with all the information about the programs that our youth office
provides. My leadership group and I were
there on the school supply day to hand out these brochures and talk about our
programs. It was quite exciting and
actually has produced some results as we have had many young people stopping by
our office in the following weeks to ask about programs and sign-up for those
that have sign-ups. Very exciting!!
:) An exciting moment for me this day
was at the beginning of the early morning (we were all there by 6:30am) when I
was talking with the youth of my leadership group. I was telling them that they were here to do
more than just hand out brochures, but they really needed to talk to the families about our programs
and why they should participate. When it
was time to get started they all wanted to sit at the table instead of going
out to the different lines that were going to form with families waiting
because they thought that staying at the table would mean less talking. Well, everyone sitting at the table was not
going to work…so I stopped them all from talking (as they were trying to negotiate
who was going to get to stay at the table) and said “Okay, okay – Leaders, hands
in!” We all put our hands into the
middle of the circle like sports teams do before the start of a game, and I
gave my pep talk. “We have some
important work to do here for our office Apoyo a Jóvenes. This is your opportunity to help us out. Remember, I chose each and every one of you for this group because I knew that
you could do something like this – I know you can talk to these families. You are all leaders. So, let’s get to it! On the count of 3 we are
all going to say ‘Leaders!’ 1…2…3…LEADERS!”
And guess what happened? They all
grabbed up handfuls of brochures and rushed off so fast I didn’t even have a
moment to blink…and guess who was left at the table? Me. Just me. :)
I have had one more meeting with these leaders this past Saturday. It is really fun working with them. This month we are going to be learning about “What
is leadership?” and exploring the different perspectives on it and what they
themselves think about leadership. I try
to mix up our time together with games and activities along with short
discussions and reflections. We are also
doing some of the preliminary aspects of starting a group such as working out expectations
for the group, making personal goals, making our group contract with each
other, etc. It’s amazing how many
experiences from my past I am able to pull ideas from…classes I’ve taken,
professors or mentors I’ve worked with, groups I’ve been a part of, research I’ve
read, etc. It’s really cool to see it
all coming together in a project I am working on. I like it.
My girls leadership group is not going to start until February
because I need more time to recruit. Exciting
news is after the school supplies day and getting the word out to many families
that way, I have handed out 17 applications for the group. Now the waiting…I really hope most of those
applications come back filled out. Right
now I sit with 4 completed applications.
Beyond my leadership responsibilities I am keeping busy with
other tasks as well, whether it’s planning the schedule and activities for 6
volunteers that are going to be with our office for a week; translating visits
as new Vision Teams are starting to come down; or helping the youth that come
into the Study Club. School started up
again this week, and we are very happy to already see youth coming in to work
on their homework. As the message outside
our office now says, “Tu Meta Escolar 2103 Inicia HOY!” (Your 2013 School Goal
Starts TODAY) it is important for the students to begin working hard right from
the beginning so that they are learning and doing well the whole year instead
of trying to catch up at the end.
I think I may be loving my job even more in this New Year. I have such a greater confidence in myself
and my abilities in my position; I KNOW what’s going on (most of the time :) );
I am forming and making my own activities and implementing my own ideas with
programs of our office; and I have even stronger relationships with the youth
and my colleagues. It is good. Life is good.
It feels good when you realize you can apply what you learned from school at work. Have a productive year!
ReplyDelete....again I am experiencing a few problems with my comments...but I am getting help so here I go again. A thought from my past came to mind when I read your latest blog entry.When I began teaching,I was advised to have my room as attractive as possible(even to the point of moving desks) to make the room inviting. This you did in updating your sign....also, I think you were very wise to encourage your leaders to lead..they needed that...you were very careful in your selection of leaders and results were needed...Grandma
ReplyDelete