Well, it has just hit me that October is
almost over – Halloween (the last day
of October) is THIS Wednesday!! When did
that happen?!?! Haha! I’ve already been asked if I’m dressing up…I
haven’t thought of anything yet that I could do with my limited clothing
supply…except for an oldie, but a goodie that I did my first year in college –
a domino :) Wear all black, put some dots on you, and wear a white belt on your
waist to be the white line that splits the domino (I do not have a white belt…)
But I haven’t decided if indeed I will dress up as a domino (it will be kind of
warm/casual in black sweatpants when I’m out in Antigua). So…if any of you have any simple, but fun
ideas within the next 24 hours, feel free to let me know! :)
This week was basically work as usual –
a lot of prepping for my programs (there always seems to be new ideas/things
that come up that I need to think about and figure out) and then working with
the students whenever they come in..tutoring and such. There has been quite a bit of math tutoring
this week (get excited, Mom! :) ). I’ve
gotten better at my Spanish vocabulary for the basic math (add, subtract,
multiply), but this week I was doing more with algebra…golly, there are so many
little words that we use to describe things that I just don’t have in Spanish
yet! I just did a lot of demonstrating
and thankfully I think the two different girls I worked with understood.
There was one day in particular this
week, Wednesday, where I had three distinct moments occur that were significant
in their own way and elicited different emotion. First of all, in the morning I was asked to
translate a sponsorship visit. This was
for a couple, Trent and Tracy, who are new to Common Hope. Trent is a dentist and he and his wife were
down here to volunteer their services for the first time in the clinic. Before coming down, they decided to become
sponsors of a child and this was their first visit with the child that I would
be helping translate for. Both Trent and
Tracy had such a fun, new energy as they were curious about Guatemala, Common
Hope, their Godchild, etc. On the way to
the visit we usually talk with the social worker and get an update about the
family and if there is anything we should know about the family situation
before getting to the house. I was very
happy to translate to Trent and Tracy that everything overall was going very
well for the family – the children (all daughters – 5 in total I believe) were
doing well in school (a GREAT accomplishment!) and health was good for
everyone. When we arrived in the home,
it was obvious very early on just how beautiful this family is. They are a younger family; both the parents
and the younger three girls were in the house (the older girls were at
school). The connection between Tracy
and Trent and the family occurred quickly.
Tracy took some years of Spanish back when she was in college and was
eager to try out what she remembered…it was just beautiful. Again, just a fun, great visit – you had to
be there to feel why it was so wonderful.
It was actually sad to leave (and we’d only been there an hour!) Tracy and Trent have plans to be back soon –
within the time that I’ll still be here, I guess. :) It was just a pleasure to see their eagerness
and energy to start to collaborate with Common Hope. Their connection to the place and excitement
for the work reminded me of how I was “hooked” early on in my first visits to
Guatemala and Common Hope…fun to see!
On that note…I’m going to do a little
advertisement :) If you aren’t a sponsor
of a child yet with Common Hope, maybe it’s something you want to
consider. It really is a beautiful
thing…a beautiful relationship you can have…and it gives so much to the
children and the families. Sponsorship
is a huge need of Common Hope’s right now…so, just think about it. :) If you want more information you can
definitely find it on the website www.commonhope.org
or I’d love to help you find information as well, so just send me an email or
facebook message.
The second event of Wednesday was not as
uplifting. I was at my desk working in
between getting children going on math games and other tutoring help when one
of the young guys who attends the Saturday activities and other youth events
came over to say “hello.” When I asked
how he was, he replied, “mal” (bad).
Now, sometimes they joke around with you, so I assumed this was the
case, but still replied “mal? Por qué mal?” (bad? Why bad?). His response…”Perdí el año” (I failed the
year). He failed his school year…he will
have to repeat. Oh my. What do you say?!? Of course, I did say some comforting words
(or I tried) and asked a few questions about recuperating and stuff…but mainly
what hit me was during this very brief conversation I saw the moisture in his
eyes, the tightness in his face…a look I understand all too well…he was
fighting to hold in the tears. A 15-16
year old young guy, confiding this painful news with me, but then fighting the
emotions that came with it. He changed
the subject quickly and had to leave to get to the youth program he was going
to attend that day. Sadly, his story
isn’t an uncommon one…I’m curious to find out how many of the youth that I work
with regularly will be repeating their grade.
It is such a problem here…many factors involved…one of the problems we
are diligently working to change.
The third event came very soon after the
second. Like I said, I was working on
getting children ready with math games and exercises that afternoon. I am still working with the two sisters,
Keila and Nataly, on math. Even though
they are done with school, they are continuing to come so that we can keep
working on multiplication and division for the next year. Well, I have introduced them to some RightStart
math card games and the abacus…they LOVE playing the games (especially the skip
counting memory game – this helps them with multiplication). Well, they were playing this game and then I
overheard my colleague Jóvita asking each of them some multiplication problems
that were related to the numbers they were playing the game with…and they we
answering them! Well, I decided to ask
them a few too after they were done playing their next round of the game. When I was asking Keila multiplication
problems with 9s she was able to quickly answer me WITHOUT LOOKING AT HER SKIP
COUNTING SHEET. She’s LEARNING!!! She was VERY proud of this fact and it was
just wonderful to see her proud of herself.
Her younger sister Nataly was still using her skip counting sheet (which
is just fine!) and Keila was very proud to point out that she did not need to
look at her sheet. Haha! SO wonderful because not long ago when I
first started working with them, Keila would have counted on her fingers from
one to whatever the response was for the problem (even up to 63!). It was a proud and exciting moment for me
too! :)
The kids here are so fun to work with…they LOVE any math game you give
them…and Keila and Nataly always want me to give them more math problems to
practice. If I give them 10, they do
them; return to me to have me check them; and then ask for more! Can you believe it?! It sure makes my job easy :)
I love the relationships I am making
with the youth…it is quite fun to be walking in the street of Santa Ana or on
my way to Antigua and every once in a while here a child’s voice call out
“Seño’ Teresa” o just “Seño’” (which is like calling out “Ms.”) and then see a
smile and a hand waving…usually it means a quick peck on the cheek (the common
greeting here) and a few exchange of words asking how everyone is doing and
what we are doing for the day. I even
know a few of the moms of some of the girls I’ve worked with, and they always
pleasantly greet me as well. I am amazed
at the great respect I have gained so quickly by my position at Common
Hope…from the children and the
parents. It is quite humbling and
energizing to live up to their expectations and kindness.
It was Karen (my cube mate’s) birthday
this Saturday, so we had a special lunch for her on Friday. It was just Jovita (and her daughter Lucy),
Francisco and I with Karen as Rigo and Jaime were not in the office that
day. Here a few pictures from the
event. Our team is so fun! :)
| Lunch and cake outside! |
| Jovita and her daughter Lucy |
Oh Teresa, what a joy to read your blog entries. My heart goes with you on the journey as I read of your stories and experiences. :) And yes, how fun to read about you tutoring math! Make sure to use the activities for the ALabacus book. It does have worksheet options on the sides. Sometime maybe I should/could get the worksheet book to you somehow and you could use that. Anyway, read the games and keep them playing them. There are some other good memory games in the multiplication section. We can skype about that sometime.:) I think you're a born teacher...and a math teacher sounds good to me! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the good work you are doing there. Thanks for your love of people, for answering the gospel call to serve the poor and for having the heart of humble service. You are a treasure and such a blessing as I know those you serve are such a blessing to you!
We love you!!! Peace and all good..and God's continued blessings. Love, MOM :)
My dear Teresa, Sorry I have not answered...I have been having problems again with answering but the person that helps me has me on track again, I believe, so here goes.
ReplyDeleteAgain your blob entry has moved me.I am reminded of Romans 12:15...Rejoice with them that do rejoice and weep with them that weep(King James...the version used as I grew up)So...I rejoice with the young women who are "getting" it" with their math studies and weeping with the young man who shared his failure with moist eyes. If you have a chance,share with him my hope for him and my prayers for him.
Please wish Karen (so attractive) a happy birthday from me and tell Jovita I am so impressed with her beautiful daughter,Lucy.
I am impressed with T and T with their volunteer work and their sponsorship. I know we enjoyed the years we sponsored. Common Hope is a blessing to many.
Love,Grandma